Monica Adhiambo Onyango, Monica Oguttu, Mary Barger
African Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, Vol. 4, Iss. 3, 16 Jul 2010, pp 115 - 120
The objective of this study was to establish factors associated with the receipt of post-abortion contraceptive counselling and uptake at private health facilities in western Kenya. A cross-sectional study was conducted at 25 private health facilities from July 2004-October 2004. A total of 403 women were interviewed following post-abortion care (PAC) via manual vacuum aspiration (MVA). Nurse-midwives provided the majority of PAC (55%). Only 44% of women received contraceptive counselling and 31% adopted a method. The strongest predictor for receipt of counselling was obtaining PAC at a low MVA volume facility (odds ratio 5.63). Women who received contraceptive counselling, and those who had an unplanned pregnancy, were three times more likely to adopt a method. Uptake of a method was also influenced by counselling time. Busy facilities in western Kenya should consider training staff specifically
for post-abortion contraceptive counselling to increase uptake following PAC.
Why purchase a paper only subscription?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of African midwifery in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- AJM contains the best clinical reviews, original research and evidence-based articles available and ensures that all midwives working or with an interest in midwifery and women’s health in Africa are kept fully up to date with the latest developments taking place on the African Continent.
- Get AJM delivered regularly to your door, subscribe online now and receive an exclusive discount on your subscription!
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.intermid.co.uk.
intermid.co.uk is the UK’s largest archive of midwifery articles containing the online archives of British Journal of Midwifery and African Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health.
- Subscribe to intermid.co.uk
Subscribe to intermid and take full advantage of the complete intermid archive including AJM for a year
- 24 hour access to intermid.co.uk
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire intermid archive including AJM for a day
- Simply purchase this article